It is recommended to the beginners, to the ones who cannot approach the diamond position (Vajrasana) for long time or the ones who cannot execute the lotus position (Padmasana) yet. It is recommended for the breathing control exercises (Pranayama) or for meditation (Dyana).
Sukhasana is very easy to execute. It can be approached by anyone. Sukhasana can be led to perfection a lot easier than any other asana. In the Yogi tradition it is said that, “An ASANA is perfectly executed when the practitioner can maintain it continuously, for three hours and forty eight minutes, in an adequate inner focusing. Any ASANA brought to this kind of perfection becomes a triple spring of benefits, physically, mentally and spiritually.”
The position activates separate the responsive part and the emissive one of the power centre – Svadhishthana Chakra (Svadhishthana Chakra is placed three fingers above the genitals).
THE LEFT SIDE EXECUTION OF THE ASANA
You start with execution that stimulates the receiving aspect, the sensitivity aspect of Svadhishthana Chakra:
Sit on the ground. Cross your legs with your knees apart. Your legs can only touch at your ankles. Your left leg is closer to the pelvis. Try to do symmetry of legs. Straighten your back and put on a line your trunk, your neck and your head.
Put your palms on your knees, facing up. Then do the Jnana Mudra. Bend your middle finger from each hand and put it against your thumb. Thus make a circle (the thumb is set above the nail of the middle finger, that is bent). The other three fingers remain a little bended but without straining them. Some Yogi recommended the use of the forefinger.
There should never exist any kind of pressure or tension in this phase. Relay your arms, all your muscles. Don’t forget the ones of the neck and of the nape. Relax your face so that your jaws wouldn’t be tense.
Be conscious of the left side execution:
During the period of becoming aware of the execution stretch your legs and lean against the ground with your hands behind your pelvis. Thus you become aware of activating the perceptive part of Svadhishthana Chakra. You also notice amplifying of your sexual energies and your creative imagination.
THE RIGHT SIDE EXECUTION OF THE ASANA
Go on with the execution that stimulates the dynamic, emissive aspect of Svadhishthana Chakra:
Cross your legs and spread your knees.
Your legs can touch each other only by their ankles. Your right leg is closer to the pelvis. Try to keep symmetry of your legs. Straighten your back and puts on the same line your body, neck and head. Put your palms on your knees, facing up. Then do the Jnana Mudra. There should be no pressure or tension in this phase. Relax your arms and all your muscles. Don’t forget the ones of your neck and nape. Even relax your face so that your jaws wouldn’t be tensed.
Be conscious of the right side execution:
During the period of becoming aware of the execution stretch your legs and lean against the ground with your hands behind your pelvis. Thus you become aware of activating the emissive part of the Svadhishthana Chakra. You also notice the amplifying of your sensuality, of your sexual energies and an increased capacity of controlling them.
EFFECTS AND BENEFITS
- Harmonious, controlled stimulation of the erotic processes and creative imagination.
- An euphoric state that radiates the entire being from the Svadhishthana Chakra level.
- The execution of this asana stabilizes the body. The execution of Jnana Mudra calms down the mind.
- Easting the palm face up has got a considerable sedative effect. It is used in much psychiatric institution to calm down the ones who are agitated.
- Easting the biceps forward loosens up your shoulders and the superior part of your belly. Thus position makes it easy for you to breathe.
- Due to the correct position of the pelvis the backbone has an ideal position.
- Plus this position amplifies the state of serenity, tranquillity, eliminates the anxiety and gives you full security socially.
- It eliminates exhaustion and tiredness after a physically exhausting activity or after a monotonous mental activity.
- Together with Vajrasana and Shavasana it is one of the best ASANAS that can help us relaxing the muscles. It acts even upon the colon muscles.