In translation VAJRA means literally “Lightning”. So you might say that it means, “The position of thunder” or “The position of lightning”. In other Yogi texts it is also known as “the position of the diamond”.
GHERANDA SAMHITA says, in chapter II, sutra 12, “VAJRASANA, which is realized by maintaining your legs on both sides of your anus, makes your hips as diamonds and gives many powers and paranormal abilities (SIDDHIS) to the yogi who uses it”.
The starting position is standing on your knees.
Before sitting you spread your heels as much as possible; the distance between your big toes should be of 5 – 6 cm. It is important that they do not touch each other.
Lower your pelvis very slowly to that area between your feet without sitting on your heels.
Put your hands on your thighs. The thumb is as wide as possible and oriented to the exterior of the thigh and the forefingers are as close to the pelvis as possible. They cover a part of the thigh this way.
Place your head right, in prolongation of the backbone. The latter should be in vertical position, perpendicular to the ground. In order to do that you should be careful to eliminate the strain of your neck and to relax as much as possible the back muscles.
Then close your eyes and gradually relax all your muscles. Start with the abdominal ones and continue with the ones from the superior part of you body and then the inferior ones. Finally relax very carefully, your face also. When you do that, there shouldn’t be any strained muscle on your body and you should seat completely immobile, like a statue.
This ASANA, though it is very simple, can be difficult for some people. For those whose ligaments have become rigid or have shrunk, it might seem a little uncomfortable at the beginning.
In order to avoid painful sensations you should execute this technique gradually, without being a hero, within reasonable limits.
Try to keep it in the pleasant area, without going to the pain area. At the beginning you can reduce pain by putting a folded towel on the ground right under your knees and ankles. After a certain interval of time, when your ligaments are elastic again, you will not use the towel anymore.
Yet it is not impossible to make this position accessible and pleasant right from the start. We should mention the fact that women are mostly to succeed because their ligaments are more elastic than of men’s.
At first, during the painful days, in order to overcome them easier, you will focus intensely on the most sensitive points or areas. Try to relax the leg muscles and focus the cosmic energy into the painful areas.
You can even imagine how the cosmic energy penetrates your being to the top of your head, flooding your entire being. You also perceive the euphorically way your pelvis gets closer and closer to the ground. When you feel this “fluid” flooding your body completely the pain will gradually disappear.
The moment you don’t feel terrible tension and pain you will focus on perceiving the accumulation of the energies in two force centres: ANAHATA CHAKRA (situated in the middle of the chest) and AJNA CHAKRA (the third eye, situated in the middle of the forehead).
If one of these two centres is more stimulated you will immediately perceive it during VAJRASANA execution. In this case you should focus your attention in order to stimulate the one less perceivable until you equalize them. Equal energies of the two force centers let the mental influence harmoniously the affective sphere and the latter harmoniously influence the mental.
The backbone is not maintained straight.
You sit on your heels.
- Due to a mutual interaction of the two force centers this position lets us free a state of MIND INTO YOUR HEART and one of HEART INTO YOUR MIND.
- By simultaneously and equally stimulating Ajna and Anahata you will perceive an extraordinary state of huge inner force. This is because you put together the energies of the two force centers.
- When there is no pain, later on, when this position is “stable and comfortable”, Vajrasana can help you as the fundament for focus exercises (DHARANA), meditation exercises (DHYANA) or breathing exercises (PRANAYAMA). It can even replace PADMASANA (the lotus position) or SIDHASANA (the perfect position) if they are not completely comfortable for a long time.
- Compressing the leg muscles stops considerably the blood from flowing through your legs. Thus the blood that was supposed to go through you legs is sent to the abdominal organs. It will influence the digestive cavity. SWAMI SIVANANDA recommends this position to the ones with dyspepsia, hepatic affections or digestive disturbing.
- It is also recommended to all those who have to stand a lot because of their job. It will heal rheumatic affections and also the gout. It is indicated to the ones with flat feet. It eliminates heel aches because it leads to stretching the ankles and feet. Legs and thighs’ nerves and muscles are enhanced. The myalgia (muscular pain in legs and thighs) will shortly and miraculously disappears.
- Vajrasana brings back the equilibrium to the status of the backbone. It regenerates and relaxes the lumbar area of the back. MERU DANDA (the vital axe of the being), also called the backbone, becomes thus firm and strong. The sciatica is gradually eliminated.
- Due to the pelvis’ position, of the lumbar and sacral area, and also to the subtle energetic circulation from the inferior area of the belly, Vajrasana contributes to eliminating certain disturbing characteristics of the period or of the menopause (in women’s case). It also leads to irrigating the gonads and producing male hormones (in men’s case). Thus this position has an important role in maintaining a normal sexual activity, without tension and super – excitement.
- The ones who will use this position long enough will have a firm attitude.
- The practice of Vajrasana stimulates beneficialially the point (KANDA) where the 72000 NADIS of being come from.
- This position can be practiced even immediately after meals. Along with profound breaths Vajrasana secures an excellent and very easy digestion. Only 10 minutes of Vajrasana, after each meal, are enough to accelerate your digestion. (The subtle explanation of this phenomenon is in relation with the direction of the flow of the subtle energy). Immediately after you eat, the flow of energies through NADIS is most commonly oriented downwards. Vajrasana inverses this circulation and turns it upwards and thus accelerates digestion).
- This position is extremely useful for the ones who have the tendency of sleeping too much. By practicing it you reduce considerably the period of sleeping time. It is useful to those who work late at nigh too.
- Your body becomes strong and firm by practicing Vajrasana. Because of that Yogis have called it the diamond position.