3. Sit alone and watch the Vrittis of the mind. Be indifferent. Remain as a Sakshi. Do not identify yourself with the Vrittis. The mind will soon come under your control.
4. Destroy the fuel of desire; the fire of thought will be extinguished. With the annihilation of Sankalpa, the reality of Brahman will shine.
5. Cultivate Divine qualities such as friendliness, mercy, gladness and indifference towards happiness, pain, virtue and vice. You will attain peace of mind.
6. Do not think of the past. Do not plan for the future. Do not allow the mind to build images. Live in the solid present.
7. Do a thing which the mind does not want to do. Do not do a thing which the mind wants to do.
8. Do not try to fulfil your desires. Do not hope. Do not expect anything. Destroy the vicious desires through virtuous desires and destroy the virtuous desires through one strong desire for liberation.
10. Study religious books, perform Tapas‘s, charity and Satsanga with Mahatmas, Sadhus and Sannyasins thus overhauling vicious worldly Samskaras and paving the road towards control of the mind.
11. Japa with any Mantra and Upasana destroy the impurities of the mind, make the mind focus inward, induce Vairagya, help concentration and eventually lead to control of the mind and attainment of God-consciousness.
(Blue like the sky)
13. Food also influences the mind. Sattvic food (milk, fruits, etc.) calms the mind. Rajasic food (meat, alcohol, etc.) excites the mind. Tamas should be avoided entirely. So, have Sattvic food and maintain Mitahara (moderation in your diet).
14. Destroy evil habits by establishing good habits. Control the lower instinctive mind through the higher Sattvic mind.
15. Constant selfless service with Atma Bhava is highly efficient in purifying and controlling the mind.
16. Do not wrestle or struggle with the mind. Be perserverent in your concentration and meditation. May Peace, Joy, Bliss and Immortality abide in you for ever and ever!
By Swami Sivananda – “Easy Steps on Yoga “