1. This world is full of misery and suffering. If you want to get rid of the pains and afflictions of this Samsara (imperfect world), you must practice meditation. Meditation is the pathway to the Divinity. It is the royal road to the Kingdom of God. It is a mysterious ladder that reaches from earth to heaven, from error to truth, from darkness to light, from pain to Bliss, from restlessness to Peace, from ignorance to Knowledge and from mortality to Immortality. Meditation leads to knowledge of the Self (Atman) which brings about eternal peace and supreme Bliss. Meditation prepares you for the integral experience and direct intuitive knowledge of everything.
2. Truth is God. Truth is Atman. Truth is pure and simple; you cannot realize the Truth without reflection and meditation. Be silent, know thyself. Know That which Is. Melt your mind in That (the Supreme Absolute).
3. Without the help of meditation you cannot attain knowledge of the Self. Without its aid you cannot reach the Divine state. Without it you cannot free yourself from the entrapments of the mind and attain Immortality. If you do not practice meditation, the supreme splendor and faceless glories of Atman (your ultimate Spirit) will remain hidden from you. Tear the veils that cover the soul by regularly practicing meditation. Rend asunder the five sheaths (Koshas) that hide Atman through constant meditation and then you will attain the final beatitude of life.
4. The fire of meditation annihilates all foulness due to vice. Then comes knowledge or Divine Wisdom which directly leads to Mukti or final emancipation.
(light of consciousness)
5. There are many valuable exercises for the mind which are essential to mental culture, for instance, training your memory, inner reflection, discrimination, Vichara or the enquiry of Who am I?. The practice of meditation also helps to clarify your memory and make it more accessible.
6. Meditation is a powerful tonic. It acts as a mental and nerve tonic. The extremely elevated vibrations penetrate all the cells of the body and cure its diseases. Those who meditate will save a bundle on doctors bills. The powerful, soothing waves that arise during meditation have a beneficialial influence on the mind, nerves, organs and cells of the body. The Divine energy flows freely like Taila-dhara (the flow of oil from one vessel to another) from the Macro cosmos to the different systems of the Sadhaka (aspirant).
7. If you can meditate correctly for half an hour, you will be able to engage yourself with much calm and spiritual strength in the battles of life for a week. The beneficialial results of meditation are that powerful. Because you have to meet with different minds and peculiar natures in your daily life, you need the strength and peace found in meditation, and thus, you will have nothing to worry about.
8. A Yogi who meditates regularly has a magnetic and charming personality. Those who come in contact with him are influenced by his sweet voice, powerful speech, bright eyes, brilliant complexion, strong healthy body, good behavior, virtuous qualities and Divine nature. Just as a grain of salt dropped in a basin of water dissolves and becomes distributed throughout the whole water, just as the sweet fragrance of jasmine pervades the air, his spiritual aura becomes impregnated into the minds of others. People draw joy, peace and strength from him. They are inspired by his speech and their minds are elevated by mere contact with him.
adapted from Swami Sivananda – “Easy Steps on Yoga “