- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
- When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
- Follow the three R’s: Respect for self, respect for others, responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
- When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good and honourable life. Then, when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
- In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
- Approach love with reckless abandon.
We end these wonderful instructions from the Dalai Lama with other useful advice that we hope will light up your life in the new millennium:
- Don’t wait for a smile, to be nice…
- Don’t wait to be loved, to love.
- Don’t wait to be lonely, to recognize the value of a friend.
- Don’t wait for the best job, to begin to work.
- Don’t wait to have a lot, to share a bit.
- Don’t wait for the fall, to remember the advice.
- Don’t wait for pain, to believe in prayer.
- Don’t wait to have time, to be able to serve.
BECAUSE YOU DON’T KNOW HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE.