ETYMOLOGY: VATA is an Ayurvedic term used for the description of the expulsion of air through different orifices of the body.
Such toxic gas may disturb the body generating headache, stomachache, pain in the area of the heart, as well as aches of the muscles or of the bones.
In some traditional writings, VATTA has the same meaning with Pavana, although this latter means ‘wind’. ‘PAVANA’ is a term used in yogic writings referring to the elimination of the gases through the rectum.
GENERAL GUIDELINES: This asana may be performed by anybody, be it a child, woman, old person. The famous yogi DIRENDRA BRAHMACHARY mentions:
‘VATAYANASANA appears to many as being a simple asana, but in fact its occult mysteries are mastered only by those who practice systematically, under the direct guidance of an authentic GURU.’
HOW TO PERFORM THIS ASANA:
Lie back on the floor.
Bring your feet towards the abdomen, knees close together, and heels reaching towards the calves.
Circle your shanks with your hands, and hold the right wrist with the left hand. Try to bring your feet as closely as possible from the trunk.
Breathe normally, or you may also take deep, rare breaths. The knees are pressing on the chest, and consequently this position favours the elimination of the toxic gases.
- This asana favours a better flow of APANA VAYU through our body. Thus, the gases, which produce disturbances, are eliminated.
- This asana is an unfailing modality of healing the disorders of the abdomen. It has therapeutic effects for disorders such as gastritis ulcer.
- It favours the digestion, and thus the body becomes supple and light. It has beneficialial effects on the spleen and sexual glands, and it brings relief and stimulates the pancreas and the liver.
- Those suffering because of aerophagia and often have nausea and vomiting should practice this asana as long as possible. The unpleasant odours of the body disappear, as well as the extra-weight.
- The abnormal mobility of the uterus may be cured through the practice of Vatayanasana, Halasana, and Uddiyana Bandha, which relieves the pain from the pelvic area.